Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Look Back

As we approach the end of this pregnancy (this crazy wild journey) we sometimes look back at how far we have come and how ready we are for this next chapter of our lives. It feels like I have been pregnant for forever! So I realized, I don't think I have ever posted about when we first found out we were having a baby, since I didn't start this blog until around the time we started telling everyone, which was a little while in. So here is the story :-)

So I will go way back to the beginning. When Jeff and I first met 3.5 years ago and we got to a point in our relationship when we started talking about our plans for the future, we both said we thought we would like to be married and start having children about 3 years from then. How true that turned out! So we got married the first time (the elopement) June 22, 2007, then had the big ceremony on June 21, 2008 back home in Virginia to celebrate with everyone. Yes, our 2 year wedding anniversary is just around the corner, 6 days before the baby's due date! About a month after that, Jeff brought up the subject of kids, pretty much seeing what would happen. This freaked me out at first, but once I thought about it more, I realized this was a good time for us and we were ready.

Of course anyone who knows me knows that I am a major planner and that I don't leave things up to chance. So after a few months, I found the best resource ever: http://www.fertilityfriend.com . The very first month I really used this, we hit the jackpot! And because of this website, I can say with almost 100% certainty that this little one was conceived on Oct. 7, 2008, give or take a day. Pretty cool, huh? I highly recommend this website for anyone trying to have a baby, especially if you are crazy like me!

So a few days later, on Sunday Oct. 19, Jeff and I ran a 5k charity run for the annual Tucson Aids Walk, of which GEICO is a major sponsor. We ran together and I actually ran it in 30 minutes, which is really good for me! The rest of the day though I was super exhausted and wouldn't even play Wii with Jeff because I was so tired. Jeff claims now he knew I was pregnant then. The next day, Oct. 20, I was exactly one day late and I felt a little weird, so when I got home I took a test (no I didn't wait for Jeff, I probably should have but I was going a little nuts).

It was positive! I took one of the fancy expense digital tests, and it gave me a positive reading when I was just one day late. How cool. So I of course started freaking out, walking around the house grinning and pacing and not knowing what to do with myself. I tried waiting for Jeff to get home, but of course this was a day Jeff decided to stay and work late, and eventually I just couldn't take it anymore so I called him and told him he needed to come home, and when he asked why, I just had to tell him. He was mad that I didn't wait for him, but of course very happy!

So the next day, I call my doctor office and tell them I had a positive test, and they tell me to come in that afternoon to confirm it. So I left work early and went down there and did the pee in a cup thing. Well the doctor office doesn't use the fancy digital test like I did, they use the dollar store strips, and the test came back negative! That was not fun, but they reassured me that since it was so early it could be a false negative because the hormone levels weren't very high yet. They told me to come back first thing in the morning after not peeing ALL MORNING so I could take the test again. So I did this, and again, a negative! At this point I started getting upset. They went ahead and drew blood to send off for an official test, which wouldn't come back until the next day. So of course after worrying myself all day, I went home that night and took another of my fancy digital tests and again got a positive! So that made me feel better.

So the next day at work, I finally got the call from my doctor office saying the blood test confirmed I was in fact pregnant. Duh! Geez. So I guess there are a few things to learn from my experience: it probably is best to wait at least a week to go to the doctor to confirm pregnancy, it is worth buying the expensive digital tests to use at home, and a false positive is much much more rare than a false negative in the first few days so if you get both results using different tests, the positive is probably correct!

In other news, the baby is still in there, rolling around, Jeff thinks it is packing it's bags :-) And I can now balance my coffee mug on my belly while sitting! I will try to get a picture of this for the blog, talk about "stupid people tricks" lol.

Well I'm off to get an oil change and the car washed and the interior cleaned, we need to get the car seat installed this week! Then I'm probably off to work, I have a project I need to finish by Friday, or at least before the baby is here, and I haven't had time to start it yet. Yes, I know I am a workaholic, but I'm rapidly approaching a nice 3 month break so I feel like I can work hard now so I can better enjoy my time off then. I will try to post more pics and pregnancy stuff later today if I have time.

Oh one more thing - my dad came home from the hospital this week! He is doing really really well, we are all so happy to have him home, and it looks like everyone will still be able to make it out here to meet the baby as planned. Mom arrives a week from today!

No comments: